Monday, February 27, 2012

When in Rome! (Sorry, I had to)

Me and MaryAnn in front of the Vittoriano Monument
I have been so busy, but I'm loving it here.  The weather finally decided to warm up, which makes a huge difference on how crowded the streets and piazzas are during the day.  


Last weekend I met up with my Michigan friend MaryAnn in Rome.  It was such a cool city, very different from Florence.  It amazed me that you could turn a corner and there would be some monument or ruin appear out of nowhere.  


One of my favorite parts of Rome was the Vatican Museum (which isn't technically in Rome, ironically).  In my Art History class we are learning about a lot of the art there, so even though I have been inside before, this time my visit had more meaning.  We decided to get a guided tour of the museum and the Sistine Chapel, and despite our initial skepticism of the tour company, it ended up being a great decision.  


St Peter's Square

The Colosseum

The city was so busy but we managed to hit all the major sites.  The food was amazing and we experienced food comas after every meal - so worth it though!  I love Rome but I can honestly say I am very happy to be living in Florence.  It seemed like it took forever to get to places in Rome, and the city overwhelmed me at times.  Florence has the perfect amount of action and calmness for studying abroad.  I can't wait for my parents to visit me next week! (Not just for free meals and a comfy bed to sleep in for a week)


Next weekend: Interlaken, Switzerland! What's on the possible agenda?  Night sledding, ice skating, beautiful sites, chocolate tasting, and canyon jumping (!!!).  Wish me luck, I'll need it.

1 comment:

  1. Canyon Jumping and Switzerland! Unreal. I don't even know what Interlaken is but it sounds exciting.

    ReplyDelete