Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Carnevale di Venezia - They don't call it VenICE for nothing!

Dear Mom, thank you for making me bring my Ugg boots to Italy when I wasn't planning on doing so.  While every other girl on my trip to Venice this past weekend complained about frostbitten toes, my feet were comfortably toasty.  Even so, this didn't help the icy winds and frosty weather that encompassed Venice like a snow globe this weekend.


Carnevale started on Sunday (40 days before Lent) so we got to see the opening ceremonies.  It was a very busy weekend, so I'll try and summarize what our group did:

  • Saturday: woke up at 5 am to depart by bus for Venice
  • Arrived Venice around 10 am and got on a boat (after a pit stop for coffee)
  • Got off the boat and went to St. Mark's Square/Basilica (got a cappuccino inside the Basilica)
  • Walked around St. Mark's Square (got hot chocolate/hot wine....notice a trend?)
  • Got back on the boat and went to Murano - famous for glass making.  We saw a demonstration and bought some glassware
  • Got back on the boat and went to Burano - famous for its picturesque colorful houses (again, got a cappuccino)
  • Got back on the boat to get to our hotel, which was in Lido di Jesolo
  • Went to a Venetian restaurant where we were treated to an amazing four-course meal
  • Went back to the hotel and passed out, finally somewhat warmer
  • Sunday: woke up and transfered back to Venice
  • Toured a very cool contemporary art museum called The Palazzo Grassi
  • Ran back to St. Mark's Square to catch the official opening of the Carnevale where we saw the "Flight of the Angel", which is when the woman who wore the most beautiful costume from last year "flies" on a rope from the top of the Saint Mark bell tower onto the main stage.  This sounds very exciting but was actually a very slow process that took about 7 minutes total...not very dramatic!
  • Walked around the Carnevale which was very crowded and filled with tourists (as well as Italians) wearing masks and dressed up in crazy costumes - kind of reminded me of Halloween with no candy.  I got a blue and silver mask
  • Toured the Duke's Palace - got yelled at for taking pictures and wearing masks inside
  • Took a boat back to our bus, and departed for Florence, where we arrived at 9 pm
So basically my trip consisted of boats and coffee, with a few masks and costumes on the side.  I will definitely be returning to Venice in warmer conditions!


Cold but happy to be in Venice

St. Mark's Basilica - so pretty!

We watched him make a little glass horse in 60 seconds - very impressive
Me and Allie in Burano


Just one of the many Carnevale outifts
Today was Valentine's day so a few of us went to the Florence chocolate fair which has been going on all week in Piazza Republica.  There was so much chocolate I couldn't decide what I wanted.  It was very overwhelming, even for a choco-holic like myself.  I know my mom would have loved it though - so many truffles to choose from.  There were also a bunch items designed out of chocolate, like Gucci shoes and Carnival masks.  Thankfully I had to go to class, otherwise I would have spent all day there!

I wonder if these come in a size 8

No trips planned this weekend so I am excited to explore more of Florence and relax a little! I have an Italian quiz tomorrow...wish me luck (augurimi la fortuna!)

2 comments:

  1. St. Mark's Basilica looks crazy. Is it true that Venice is completely built on water?

    Also, I noticed homework was not part of you weekend agenda.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, this is true. Venice is sinking, so I suggest you make a visit soon!

    Homework has recently become an issue. I just had my first quiz today. Maybe my next post will be dedicated to school? Thanks for the concern, Wen!

    ReplyDelete