Friday, February 10, 2012

Exercise? What's that?

The entire time I have been in Italy I feel that I've been doing at least one thing wrong at all times during the day. Whether it's forgetting I have to pay for plastic bags at the grocery store, or crossing the street where I'm not supposed to, I have gotten some looks that just say, "It's okay, you're American and don't know any better." (This is actually a great excuse for day-to-day mistakes, by the way).


Anyway, Bre and I went for our first run yesterday and you would have thought we strangled the Pope with some of the looks we were getting.  I don't think there is even a word for 'exercise' in Italian.  The streets are so narrow, so we decided to run along the river to avoid any major collisions.  However, because people didn't understand why we were running, they wouldn't really move out of the way which made things difficult.  In the occasion that we would pass other runners (surprisingly, this happened twice!) I couldn't help but smile and laugh to myself because it was indeed a pretty amusing site.  


In other news, we recently discovered a secret room above Allie's doorway, so if the Italian Mafia come for us we know where to hide.  Bre and I don't have a secret room but we do have a beautiful ceiling to look at. 


Not a bad view to wake up to!

I leave for Venice bright and early tomorrow for the opening weekend of Carnevale! I hope the water isn't frozen over so we can take gondola rides and experience Venice before it sinks. Buona notte! 


1 comment: