Saturday, February 4, 2012

Senza Glutine, my favorite Italian words!

In Italian 101, I have so far only learned numbers, days of the week, and how to say, "I don't understand Italian."  But my favorite new Italian phrase is, "Avete ciba senza glutine?" (Do you have gluten-free food?)  Whenever I ask in a restaurant or cafe, even if they do not have anything for me they still know what I'm talking about.  Apparently they are very knowledgeable about celiac disease here, which is a great change from the States.

I thought finding gluten-free food in Italy would be like trying to find a needle in a haystack, but I have been pleasantly surprised.  In grocery stores, there are little signs below each item that is gluten-free, and I have seen many restaurants advertising gluten-free foods.  This week I made a GF turkey sandwich as well as GF pasta for dinner.  I have yet to try a restaurant with GF pizza or pasta but that is definitely on my to-do list.



My GF pasta with basil tomato sauce



A sign outside of a restaurant



Alright, I will admit this sign is a little creepy....



One place I can always find a gluten-free snack that everyone else will love is at a gelateria!  Fun fact: if the gelato is displayed in large amounts and/or is very colorful (see below picture), it is not the best stuff.  My Italian professor taught us that this is mostly for tourists.  For the best gelato, you should not be able to see it displayed, and it should be more dull in color. 


Colorful gelato = not as fresh!



Next post: We went to Siena yesterday and spent the night.  In a few words, Siena was beautiful but freezing.  Stay tuned for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment