Saturday, May 5, 2012

Ultima Settimana a Firenze

One more week left in Florence....I can't believe this journey is coming to an end.  While trying to fit in as much as possible in this last week, I am also trying to enjoy the beauty of Florence on its own.  My temporary home here will never be the same; although I will surely come back and visit, it will never be how it is now.  This past semester has been like living a fake and perfect life and I am not ready to return to the real world.  All I can hang onto are the friendships created and the memories made.  


Since my last post we have done quite a lot.  Last Sunday Kristi, Sara, CJ and I took a day trip to Cinque Terre and finally got some beautiful weather!  We hiked around four out of the five towns and even got some swimming time in.  Kristi and CJ cliff jumped but I chickened out. I guess being abroad did not change my paranoia at all!


Each of the towns are very different, and a couple of them are still very destroyed from the flooding last fall.  We were unable to hike from town to town because of this.  Regardless, Cinque Terre was beautiful and I wish we had more time there.



Via dell'Amore

Hiking along the coastline 
On Monday night everyone went out to celebrate Notte Bianca (White Night).  Italians stayed out until 6 am to celebrate Labor Day which was the following day.  There were many free concerts and events going on throughout the night.  Tuesday happened to be my birthday so this worked out well - it was almost like Florence threw a huge birthday party for me.  They also set off lanterns over the river just like in the Disney movie Tangled where the King and Queen set off lanterns on the Princess' birthday every year to try and bring her home.  Same thing, right?


Some Notte Bianca festivities near our school
Lanterns over the Arno river
My 21st was definitely the best birthday I've had by far.  Not only did I get to celebrate with all of my friends but with the rest of Florence all night.  We tried to make it until sunrise but had to take a quick nap before heading out to Piazzale Michelangelo at 6 am to watch the 'sunrise.' (It was cloudy so we didn't get to see much).  Regardless, it was still one of my favorite nights in Florence by far! 


A cloudy Florence from Piazzale Michelangelo at 6 am


Viareggio Beach
Then on Friday we went to Viareggio, Italy for a beach day.  It was perfect weather but we all underestimated the sun and got a little burned...oops! Still a very relaxing day before the final stretch in Florence.




Tonight we are going to a huge concert type event for the TRL Awards in Piazzale Michelangelo.  Not sure what to expect but look for me on MTV! 

2 comments:

  1. Dang one more week left? That's it? This means my promised comments are about to come to an end too. Shame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wen your comments have been awesome. Greatly appreciated!

    ReplyDelete